Tuesday, April 21, 2009

The Tarnished Pathway

Not much further away from the mangosteen tree, as I walked, I found a staircase that should have hidden away from hot sun for most of the time. It was tarnished, aged and looked dark in colour. I did not intend to link this place to any ancient structure but it was sort of similar to that I could imagine. It might not be abandoned but surely was less frequently visited.

The staircase was not obvious to the public as it was located behind a turn, and this turn turned this pathway into a mysterious trail, within the surround of a forest , that I tried to conceive.

Indiana Jones might have visited before, together with his crew in this tropical jungle, running a booby-trapped gauntlet to fetch the lost Ark.

As I walked on this archaeological pathway, I pictured myself holding the Raiders whip on the way to discover the artifact at the other far end, though having myself exposed to attack from fighters hidden in the turrets and ramparts above.

As soon as I reached the "end", I stopped, I pondered should I continue my search for the Temple of the Chachapoyan Warriors.

I had never tossed the coin, yet I decided not to adventure into the jungle or rather the bush. I was no Indiana Jones the archaeologist, I was Rainfield who did not welcome any mosquito bites or snake dance. It might be very adventurous inside, there might be really some treasures hidden inside centuries ago. But I had returned to the real me.

And I returned home safely though without holding the lost Ark.

Related post you may like to read:

10 comments:

KY said...

I have not seen such a place even I hike Cerok Tokun every weekend. What a discovery.
You will be my benchmark.

The Retired One said...

The Force wants you to return to find the hidden treasure and show it to your many blogger friends....

The Retirement Chronicles

Rick (Ratty) said...

Just by finding those stairs, you are more Indiana Jones than most people already. It was easy for him to go into the jungle, because he had a film crew to keep any real danger away. Your pictures are your treasure, and the rest of us can see the proof of your adventure.

roentare said...

This is interesting that staircase can create a sense of illusion where the path might lead to unknown. A powerful composition element

Karina said...

The photos is as engaging as your wordings. I enjoyed looking and reading.

rainfield61 said...

KY: I'll see you one day at Cerok Tokun with a camera too. See you.

The Retired One: Yes of course. I'll return with some more interesting "treasure" for you. But wait until then....

Ratty: It was actually an excited finding. The plan to expand MyJourney horizontally do pay back.

roentarre: Thanks for the comment. It is the power of the nature that inspire.

Karina: What else I can say? I enjoy writing and get all the valuable feedback from you all in return. BTW, you are an Industrial Engineer. I was too. Hahaha...

betchai said...

funny, in my hikes sometimes, i also imagine (or hallucinates?) I am working with Indiana Jones, hahaha, I love places such as this since it really adds mystery. Wonder if there is an Ark somewhere there? i love the first picture, it is such a great composition.

deejay said...

i find your post adventurous.

while you express the unknown place beyond and tangle yourself in a sacred place, you ask for everything what will happen next, and be ready for the next phase of journey.

adventure starts in our own self.

WiseAcre said...

I have to admit I'd have stopped there too. There's a huge difference between woods and jungle and what lurks in the shadows. I'll stick to the woods, thank you.

rainfield61 said...

betchai: Hallucinating is another way to find fun in life, isn't it? Though there is no Ark physically, but there is spiritually.

deejay: Adventure starts in our own self. Such a nice description.

WiseAcre: To squeeze through the bush is no fun at all. And the world at the other side is out of imagination.