Friday, April 10, 2009

Kek Lok Si Temple, Penang

The construction of this Kek Lok Si Temple (Temple of Supreme Bliss) can be traced back to 1890, about a hundred year after Penang Island was founded by Captain Francis Light, a Colonial Official from British. It is one of the famous and worth to visit site in the island.

The temple is the biggest in Southeast Asia, but size does not tell story. This is the place where we understand and learn about Buddhism through everything that comes into our sight.

Pagoda of ten thousands Buddhas: This pagoda is having a Chinese octagonal base with the external facades of the rising levels are Thai and a Burmese crown.

The prayers talk to their protectors through the burning joss sticks in the censer. The rising smoke is the messenger.


Somehow, we can also see the world and fortune through an oil-lamp.

(We find many temples (Chinese and Indian temples), mosques and churches in Malaysia. I came across an article saying that there are at least 66 percent of people in Malaysia pray everyday, followed by those in Philippines and India, where 55 percent of Americans pray daily).

7 comments:

The Retired One said...

Simply beautiful!
And, I love how lush all the green trees are in the hills behind the temple, too.
Thanks for sharing this!

Rick (Ratty) said...

These are some of the most beautiful places I've seen. I love places like this that have an older look, even if they are not very old. Most buildings of any kind here in America are very new, and they were never intended for their beauty. We have some in the eastern part of the country, but not too many where I live. They are only now thinking of beauty in the last few years.

WiseAcre said...

I wonder if God got the message the time I started a grass fire in one of the hay fields. I'm sure there was enough smoke.

I pray everyday - That I don't get caught :)

I love the round arch passage. I keep promising myself I'm going to build one someday.

Yeo KeeHui said...

Look like we have a lot of prayerful people here. Nice post.

rainfield61 said...

The Retired One: My dear lady, it's my pleasure.

Ratty: Penang is a beautiful Island with natural scenes,old buildings and good food.

WiseAcre: But I thought you are a Red Indian who mostly appears in Cowboy movies started a fire and hohohoho around.

Yeo: Most of us may have lost our soul...

Shirley said...

Fabulous pix! Penang is truly beautiful, really miss it now! Trying to compile a collection my journey in Penang here: http://www.asiarediscovery.com/malaysia

Unknown said...

Nice shots. Been a really long time since I was there.