Sunday, September 12, 2010

A Desperate Fantail

I met this fantail early in the morning at my in-laws' place in Kangar. My experience tells me that it should be very alert to human being; it was not true this time.

I had had enough close-ups of it; I even move around for some different angles without fearing of losing it.

I used to test their response by inching closer during photography, but it was this fantail that tested me this time, thus there were countless funny body languages all the way.

It tried to think and to judge the situation; it would not leave anyhow.

It flew away, only leaving the post and landed on the nearby black bin.

We met each other for the first time; it never had my track record. I was not labelled as a good guy on my face, even if I was, it could never understand.

So, what had made it ignoring the potential dangers and stayed for so long on the ground? There was no magic trick nor extraordinary power by me, except a mesh of rotten oranges laying between me and the bird.

We used to say: Men die for wealth, and birds die for food. There are endless examples on the portion of human being, but I only grasped the meaning on the later fully after today.

25 comments:

betchai said...

oh, what a beautiful encounter Rainfield, I had similar experience with the night heron last weekend, I tested it by inching closer, but it was just so focused. these are beautiful shots.

Kilauea Poetry said...

Beautiful..very captivating poses! Thing is, looks pretty healthy. Maybe he had a touch of lumbago and didn't feel you were much of a threat:)))

Sharkbytes (TM) said...

What a precocious little bird. I see how it gets the name.

Anonymous said...

You're back..Jump and shout :-)

Gorgeous bird photos, Rainfield. In some pictures the eyes are almost purple, like it, like it..

George said...

You got some wonderful pictures of the fantail. It must have known that you were a good guy even without a label on your face.

The Retired One said...

This bird resembles the Canada Jay that we have in our area...great captures!

Unknown said...

It is rare and precious to have such an encounter. I know you will treasure that one. I would! :-)

ruthinian said...

Hmmmm... so that is the secret. No wonder I never get a great shot of birds. Maybe I will try to bribe them next time. It works with the chipmunks so it will work with them.

Great photos. I always love your photos.... so sharp... so vivid... great details.

Diane AZ said...

Wow, the bird was showing off for you all of its fantastic poses. And its eyes are so shiny, and purple sometimes as Icy noted. Beautiful captures. :D

Frieda said...

What a beautiful encounter you had with that precious bird.
Your pictures are great...

Kirigalpoththa said...

Beautiful encounter. Love the way you presented it for us :)

Loshini said...

Woah. Excellent pics!s

Joanne Olivieri said...

Rainfield, these are amazing photos. Fantastic closeups and I love the first one where he is looking right into the camera.

Bengbeng said...

it looks so tame posing for you like that. is that a young or an adult ird?

Malay-Kadazan girl said...

Birds are very intelligent creature even though they have small brain. Nice shots. Have a safe journey from balik kampung to balik rumah.

Redzlan aka Tabib said...

Wow!.. so hard to catch this mad bird, jumping around!
This was very close.
I don't think she interested in an orange, maybe a worm or bugs inside that fruit.

fufu said...

hahaha many other animals die for food also ya

CH said...

Haha.. You have some beautiful pictures of the "mad one".

Ann, Chen Jie Xue 陈洁雪 said...

do you wear army camouflage so the birds don't see you?

My sparrows even see me when I am inside my house.

rainfield61 said...

I had a good long holiday. I traveled and shot around; very enjoyable.

I bought a Canon 100mm macro lens. I started another round of experiment; very enjoyable.

Life is enjoyable.

silent moments said...

wonderful! looks like the fantail had a studio photo shoot!

wiseacre said...

great set of photos. My guess it was you that was desperate to get them :)

Glo-w~* said...

Lovely~ I too take pictures of animals but I only have my humble camera from my SE C903 ;p

RNSANE said...

Incredible photography, rainfield. You must have been so thrilled to get so close to this beautiful bird.

Ayie said...

is it a rare encounter or something meant to be?